How can I reload keyboard driver

Discussion in 'Hardware and Gadgets' started by Resmanager, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Resmanager

Resmanager New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all, I have a problem with my computer not recognising the keyboard, if i touch any key on the keyboard the mouse pointer freezes and i have restart the computer. In devise manager, the keyboard driver is faulty and when i reinstall it I only get the option to keep the same driver, even after deleting the driver it is the same. To try and get round the problem I purchased wireless keyboard and mouse and connected it to a usb port, although the mouse works fine but the keyboard is not recognised. I am using the on screen keyboard to send this request for help

best regards

Dave

Windows xp
  2. Guest Ads

Google King of the Internet

3. Raymond

Raymond Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -1
    I believe all keyboard drivers in Windows are generic. If your keyboard can cause a reboot, your keyboard could be faulty, not because of driver.
  4. Resmanager

Resmanager New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Raymond, thank you for very quick response to my problem.
    My first thought that it must be the keyboard, but I have tried three different ones, all with the same result, the computer freezes. I thought that buying a new wireless one, and installing on a usb port, it would load new drivers, but it does not seem to be. I have now tried the new and old keyboards on my works computer and both work.
    Do you if there is there a way that I can force a driver replacement?

Best regards

Dave
  5. prashanthpai

prashanthpai Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Run sfc /scannow
    This will fix if the driver file is corrupted.

Or identify the driver files, then replace them manually from Recovery Console using XP CD.
  6. utkarsh30june

utkarsh30june Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Firstly, try the above solution^ by Prashanth
    If this still doesn't help then, it may be a problem of your Motherboard. Plug in a USB Keyboard in the USB socket of your CPU and check if it works.
  7. Matarael

Matarael Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think i've understand that it did not work with a wireless usb one. So sure it is a keyboard driver error? anyway, if you want to change them and put a new one manually, just open system proprieties, then hardware and device manager, from there you can change the actual driver using the new one. Obviously if you only uninstall it at next reboot windows will keep on using the original one.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2008