Time – Is It Past, Present or Future?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jogsee, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Jogsee

Jogsee Regular Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    ‘Time and Tide waits for none.’
    We have heard of Time Travel and Time Warping. Scientists now say that it is possible to bend time, though we cannot do it as of now.
    But is it really possible and if possible how will it be?
    Lets see.
    We all have seen fireworks. We see the cracker burst and hear its sound a little later. It’s because light travels very quickly and reaches us immediately whereas sound travels much slower and takes more time to travel to us. Now, suppose one person is standing right below the place where the cracker has burst, he will hear the sound of the cracker nearly instantly. But if there is another person who is standing one Kilometer away, he will hear it a little later i.e. approximately one second later. Here what we are seeing is that at a particular moment something happens and one person experiences (or we can say hears) it at one moment of time and another person experiences it at another moment of time.
    Now we take another situation. One person is standing right below the place where the cracker has burst so he hears the sound, then he moves one kilometer away from that place at a speed which is double than the speed of sound. So, what will happen is that the person will be able to hear the bursting of the cracker again after one second. Now, suppose he moves ten kilometer away with the same speed then he will again hear the sound in about ten seconds. Here what we can see it that an event is happening once, but a person is able to experience it again and again. This is also a sort of time travel. Now, we take same situation i.e. a person is standing just below the place where a cracker has burst. But now he moves away from that place with a speed that is double than the speed of light. The person now travels not one kilometer but a thousand kilometer. So, the person sees the cracker burst then moves away one thousand Kilometer and again sees the same thing happening a few milliseconds later. This is actually time travel. Though it may seem impossible, it is possible. In-fact, we experience this everyday. The Sun’s light takes approximately 8 minutes to reach us. So, whatever we see happening on the Sun has actually happened 8 minutes ago. Then there are stars that are hundreds and thousands of light years away, i.e. their light takes hundreds and hundreds of years to reach us. Suppose, we are looking at a star that is a hundred light years away and at the same time we are also looking at a star which is one thousand light years away, and we are also looking at the things that are happening on the Earth. In this case we are actually looking at three points of time, i.e. something happening right now (on earth), something that has happened a hundred years ago (the star which is a hundred light years away) and another thing that has happened one thousand years ago (the star that is situated one thousand light years away). This is looking at different points if time. If this is possible then why not time travel. May be in future we will be able to travel at the speed of light. Just thirty years ago it was impossible for most people to imagine that after a few decades everyone will have a small box in their hand and using which they will be able to talk to and see people who are thousands of miles away. Thirty years ago if I had to put this article in front of you it would have taken me a lot of time. But now I have written this article and all the people can view it almost instantly. So, now at least, information is travelling at the speed of light. So, won’t it be possible in the next fifty to hundred years that we ourselves will be able to travel by the speed of light. If this happens, then how will we define time? In my opinion time is just a feeling; we just feel it passing away.
    We have heard many times that life is possible only on Earth. Is it really so? There are billions and billions of stars and planets in the Universe, may be more, and the Earth is the only planet with living beings! Very difficult believe isn’t it? We have also heard that Oxygen and Water are very much needed to sustain any kind of life. Is it so? Can’t there be any kind of life which can survive without these two? What if there is other kind of life that require completely different kind of environment to live. In our Earth also we have seen that some micro-organisms can survive in some extreme conditions. So, why it is not possible for other kinds of living creatures to survive in other kind of climate? There could be other kind of living creature in other parts of the Universe and they could be more advanced than us. And if there is a life form out there that is much more advanced than us and that could travel in time, then they can easily alter our life. They can easily affect our day to day life. In fact, we could just be puppets in their hands. Our scientists do a lot of experiments to find out the mystery of life. There are plans to put micro-organisms on other planets. What if life also started on this planet as the result of some other life form’s experiments? We can also be some kind of robots, organic robots may be. Does it seem absurd?
    Many times we hear of alien abductions. Some people claim that they have been abducted by aliens and all sorts of experiments have been done on them. Though, most of the times they fail explain everything properly. Suppose, an alien life form that is capable of time travel abducts someone, does some kind of experiment on that person and returns the person to that very point of time when that person was abducted; will the person be able to explain everything properly? No, that person won’t be able to explain the incident properly, but will always remember that something had happened. Many times we see some people around us talking gibberish and we take them as mad. Are they really mad or is it that something strange had happened to their life? Who knows! We ourselves go through strange and unexplainable experiences many times. There is a feeling called Deja-vu. No one can explain properly why it occurs. Then, there are dreams and nightmares. Why do all of us see strange and unrealistic dreams? We forget most of our dreams. There are some dreams that we can remember faintly. Then, there are dreams that we think that we have forgotten but somehow they linger inside our mind. And, there are dreams which we remember as if that incident has really happened to us. Why do we have so much different kinds of dream? No one can explain. There are many more strange questions that no one is able to answer. Our science can’t tell us everything. Our science tells us that we shouldn’t believe what we can’t see or feel. A century ago nobody knew about x-rays, gamma rays and microwaves. Few decades ago no one knew about Black-holes. Does that mean they didn’t exist at that time?
    The time has come that we change our point of view, that way we may be able to find out many new things. Some people have already started doing that, and we may be able to see many wonderful things happening in the near future. And, that’s going to be soon; very soon. Till the do one thing, just stop studying tense.

If you like this article (or even if you don’t like it), please share it.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Guest Ads

Google King of the Internet

3. jabeen100

jabeen100 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think, This is the time of Your present.
  4. ted

ted Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +88 / 0 / -0
    I'm probably the only person on this forum who can answer this Jogsee but unfortunately for you I'm a procrastinator:p:p:eek:
  5. position

position Distinguished Member

Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    ok so lets see what we have here

1.. is time travel possible : No..... cause if so why don't we see any time traveler among us ? why hasn't anyone from the future travelled to us ? there is a famous Stephen Hawking experiment to prove this....

2.. Bending of time : every object that have a mass bends time..... its not something new.... the heavier an object the more they bend time.... and hence more slower the time pass near that object..... black holes being the heaviest they completely slows down time.... to almost zero..... (but not exactly zero till you reach the singularity)

3.. to see an event happening twice.... : cant happen as with sound of fire crackers.... reason being speed of light is constant.... so even if we travel at the speed of light we will see the light from the firecracker traveling like normal.... way ahead than us..... (Einstein proved that in his uber famous General Theory Of Relativity)

4.. Life on other parts of Universe : very much a possibility.... but we say Oxygen and Water is needed because all known life form on earth is Carbon based.... and Carbon bonds with Oxygen, Hydrogen, Nitrogen and other elements.... It is also lightweight and relatively small in size, making it easier for enzymes to manipulate carbon molecules.... so its assumed that if life is present beyond earth then it will probably be Carbon based....

5.. Alien on Earth : highly improbable in today's age where everyone carries a camera phone and still we don't see any reliable evidence of them being there.....

6.. Deja-vu : The psychologist Edward B. Titchener in his book 1928 A Textbook of Psychology, explained déjà vu as caused by a person having a brief glimpse of an object or situation, before the brain has completed "constructing" a full conscious perception of the experience. Such a "partial perception" then results in a false sense of familiarity..... widely accepted as the reason

7.. Dreams : most animals also dream.... REM sleep and the ability to dream seem to be embedded in the biology of many animals that live on Earth. All mammals experience REM. The range of REM can be seen across species: dolphins experience minimum REM, while humans remain in the middle and the opossum and the armadillo are among the most prolific dreamers..... so it don't say much about we humans being any special in this regard......

8.. "didn’t exist at that time" : Two word answer.....anthropic principle..... things (everything in the Universe) only exists if any conscious life observes it.....

9.. "just stop studying tense" : you better not if you want to pass your grammar exams....

you put a question and science will come up with a theory (right or wrong)
    but i too believe that time travel is a physical impossibility......
    much like ted using McAfee.......
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    Stephen Hawking and many other leading scientists believe time travel is possible, but forwards only and not backwards. Prof Brian Cox has said experiments at CERN indicate there appears to be some truth in the theory. If you're talking about Hawkings famous "Time Travellers party", it proved either time travellers have betters things to do or they really can't travel backwards. :geek:

Oh, no. 8....do my eyes deceive me or is that 2 words for your one word answer....? :p
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. position

Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    well if we can only travel into the future then its not actually time travel.... we already do that while simply moving fast.... any object in motion will gain time accordingly like people in space station or the ones who regularly air travel..... case in point is the GPS satellite system whose clocks were adjusted accordingly to correct the time anomaly cause of their extreme high speeds and needed accuracy
    the closer we travel to the speed of light the farther we go in time....
    that's the whole principle behind point no. 3 that speed of light is constant even if we look at a beam of light traveling while we ourselves are traveling at almost the speed of light.....

and about no. 8.... well that's the point.... the 2 words only start to exist when any conscious being.... in this case Hal9000 or anyone start to observe it.... in fact the very existence of this post depends someone directly observing it..... if not then it dosent matter if its one word or 2..... but since its been observed you can see that it now say 2 word answer.... :p
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  8. Hal9000

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    The last time I looked, the term time travel meant going forwards OR backwards. That means your point no. 1 would be better if it said "is backwards time travel possible : No", far fewer intelligent people believe that is possible as opposed to forwards through time dilation, either via gravitational (GPS satellites) or light dilation (ISS/MIR astronauts). :geek:

Ah, so my eyes didn't deceive me last night but they do today.....:whistle:
  9. position

Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    That is my whole point Hal..... that time travel to the future is as real to this universe as we are.... every thing travels to the future.... from us traveling in a train to the earth spinning around the sun to the sun spinning around the milky way and so on and so forth.... that to say it is a "possibility" is redundant...

for e.g lets assume we are traveling in a ship that travels 99% to the speed of light..... then for us it might be few weeks in the ship but when we get off the ship the outside world would have gained maybe few years.... so we could say we traveled to the future...... and we are technically right and it happens all the time.... only its so minuscule that we never notice.... but few measurable difference is the like of the GPS Satellite system

but that would be a lot different than say inputting any number in a device and going say a 1000 years to the future instantly.... that sort of thing seems quite impossible....

and no your eyes don't deceive.... they just made the Universe Possible.......
  10. Hal9000

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    That is obviously a different question again and would lead to your point #1 being titled "is time travel possible in a machine on the earth: No"...

A simple definition of time travel is whether I can get 7 days into the future without ageing 7 days myself, travelling at 99.99% the speed of light for approximately 87 seconds will do that according to all the great minds that believe it's possible. I'm only 87 seconds older, everyone else has aged a week...time travel.....

So in simple terms jumping into the future days/weeks/months/years is possible, we just don't have the hardware to do it yet, like a nice car, Santa's sleigh or something...:D
  11. position

Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    @Hal9000 we are talking the same here..... its not just only possible but we are doing it everyday whether we want or not.....
    ok the effects are quite minuscule but they do happen..... say a billionth trillionth of a second.....

no no point saying is its "possible"..... in fact its impossible to stop it from happening so to speak.....