Best Format For Ripping?

Discussion in 'Movies and Video' started by stinger, Sep 11, 2016.

1. stinger

stinger New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    just got a present a wireless external hard drive.I plan on ripping all my DVDs to it so i can watch them on my TV. I am using WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. What is the best format for ripping for this purpose or should i just use the copy function. Obviously i dont wanna lose quality and even with 3TB i have space issue. i have over 900 DVDs i would like to rip on it. thanks for the help

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 0 / -0
    Some quick maths tells you that if you want to rip 900 DVDs onto a 3TB hard drive, you will likely have to use compression of some sort. That many direct copies could consume 3.5TB - 7.5TB. To be confident of fitting all DVDs onto your drive, videos about 40% - 50% the original file size will be needed.

Try the General MP4 HQ profile in WinX DVD Ripper with the high quality engine turned on and a quality bitrate of 3500, then see how it looks. The file size should be around half the original size and will be about the quality you can expect if you want all DVDs to fit on the drive.

3. HugzLola

HugzLola Inactive Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    good recommendation, i downloaded this program and it is really useful, actually, i think this ripper is wonderful but it can not convert the video format, so i have to download another avi android converter to help me to convert formats,well, i think both the two programs help me to solve problems about playbacks, thank you