Can Hotspot shield be tracked??

Discussion in 'Network and Internet' started by vix, May 10, 2009.

1. vix

vix New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Recently in UAE, there are talks going around that HOTSPOT SHIELD and other softwares like Ultra Surf are being detected by them. These softwares are being used by the residents of UAE for bypassing the blocked sites like orkut, myspace, flicker and many more to name.

Recently many users were fined nearly AED 25000($7000) for using HOTSPOT SHIELD AND ULTRASURF. Can this be possible or these are just flying talks in the grapevine?

This has hampered many users from using the HOTSPOT SHIELD. This program is mainly used for calling through the VOIP service providers.

Any posts on this will be appreciated!! This is not only my problem; but a unanimous problem of the residents of UAE.
  2. Guest Ads

Google King of the Internet

3. Raymond

Raymond Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -1
    HotSpot Shield claims "Secure your web session with HTTPS encryption". HTTPS is nearly impossible to decrypt or cracked, which means your ISP wouldn't know what traffic went through.

Maybe your ISP is simply fining users for using software like HotSpotShield and UltraSuft that can bypass connections, not really because they "CAN" detect if you're visiting a blocked website.
  4. heart reaper

heart reaper Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No.

Most of the guys here in KSA also use those softwares. And i tell you, there are more big fines and punishments if you get caught visiting blocked sites. I have seen guys using them for more than 2 years and still going OK.

If there should have had been anything like that, then it would have been in KSA first rather than in the UAE.

And as Ray said, HTTPS.
  5. Rush

Rush Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would have to agree with Raymond. It seems much more likely that they are looking for patterns of encrypted traffic than achieving real time https decryption.
    I'm not sure if they are actually able to track Hotspot shield (although Im fairly certain it is possible) but they can determined if it is being used fairly easily.