Changing Laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware and Gadgets' started by fraymondcck, Aug 5, 2017.

1. fraymondcck

fraymondcck New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My old laptop has a number of programs that if transferred will revert to trial programs. Is there a way to avoid that?
    Could the old laptop hd be mounted as a virtual drive and not lose the programs?
    Thanks.

2. Kees

Kees Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Depends on what programs you have in mind, but in the majority of cases the answer will be no.

3. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,127 / 0 / -0
    It depends entirely on the program as Kees says. Some could be transferred if the registration is kept inside a file, other registration data could be extracted from the registry. No real way of knowing without checking each and every program you want to move.

4. fraymondcck

fraymondcck New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your answers. I do appreciate the help. Most of the programs are from Giveawayoftheday, Bitsdujour, SharewareOnSale, etc. I remember reading some time back that these programs could not be transferred without losing their license.

There are a few that I would like to keep valid, but I will see if I can find or extract the registration data and see if doing that might work. Any suggestions/thoughts you have on doing that?

Again, thanks for your time and information. It's great to get feedback from a place that has earned a trustworthy and competent reputation.