Cloud based applications, For or Against.

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by JayCub, Jan 13, 2011.

1. JayCub

JayCub Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read recently that Microsoft in its wisdom is thinking along the lines of Cloud based applications along with its next release of Windows.
    For me im against the idea and would find it hard to have faith in online applications and the security issues it could bring.

Cost

I wonder if this means paying a monthly or yearly fee and is it a way that an ISP can increase it's revenue by putting a cap on usage.
    part of me thinks i will be left behind if i don't keep up with the changes of how software is going to play apart if it's cloud based.

im sure many here have opinions and i invite you to share pro's and con's of cloud based software as im getting old and don't seek such a change, and like the disadvantages of software installed on my pc that can give me a headache.

2. johnshaw1917

johnshaw1917 Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jay. I am also against cloud based app's as being the norm. For one thing, I don't have a fast enough internet service where I live to make it practical. I seriuosly doubt whether I would be able to even run any app's during peak usuage hours. For another thing, I agree about problems with security. I don't want to store any data off line. Thankfully, I will have the option of using Linux, if Microsoft should decide to go that way.

3. JayCub

JayCub Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read this as part of the rumour mill John, but it raises quite a few points, and pointing out not having a fast enough internet service is a valid reason against, i hope they have some kind of poll for and against, as you mentioned Linux looks more and more attractive.
    This Site gives some valid reasons against cloud apps.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. johnshaw1917

johnshaw1917 Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the link Jay. Will have a look when I get home from work.

5. Alboguy

Alboguy Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm definitely against. I worry most about accessibility than security issues. I guess security is something that MS will seriously think about. But what concerns me is that I need to use some applications on the go since I'm a student. How could I use a cloud based office suite for example when I need it right away and I have no wireless spots nearby?

6. Student26

Student26 Notable Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    so far it seems there is a consensus against cloud apps being the norm. Accessibility and security are my two biggest concerns. Cloud based suites do not allow me the work offline. This limits where i can work to home or wifi hot spots. Building on what alboguy's concern's, there just is not the infrastructure of public wifi networks available where i live. Even if this was the norm i doubt some ISPs would be able to handle the additional bandwidth consumption. Also I do not want to be dependent on my ISP - my experience has been far from great.

7. Bearcat

Bearcat Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would definitely be against cloud based applications. I want to be able to configure them to the way I like and I don't see how that would be possible in this case. Also, I agree about the security and the internet access issues that have been raised. I would think that MS would give us the option to stay with a conventional OS, or a cloud based OS, otherwise, they would probably lose a fair number of users. IMHO it would certainly open the door for Mac or Linux to increase their number of users.

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree here. Internet access issues and data security and privacy is biggest concern (may never get resolve).

9. JayCub

JayCub Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just shows that there is not alot of faith in Cloud applications and something should be done to address the issues before relying on it, although there is no official thread about Microsoft, just the rumour mill, but this could be quite a disaster in the making. i haven't been without the Internet for any long periods but there are still days when things for my ISP have gone wrong, if i where in buisness for myself this could have proved to be costly.

I remember about two years ago a socilal network site had a windows XP GUI and some Offic applications, which looked great at the time but i did not have any faith in it then either.

10. Bearcat

Bearcat Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I didn't even consider this before Jay and it just adds more fuel to the fire against cloud based PC's