"\Device\mfeavfk01.sys" - clean or infected rootkit?

Discussion in 'Security and Viruses' started by dredge, Mar 14, 2010.

1. leofelix

leofelix Distinguished Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @ dredge: do you have a Linux kernel installed on C:\ maybe?
    If not please scan drive C:\ (and every external devices like USB flash memories you use)

However I'm starting to think that's a false positive, as hellnoire said: never run two antivirus at once in the same PC
  2. Guest Ads

Google King of the Internet

3. hellnoire

hellnoire *nix Technical Support

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Leo, I don't think we need to worry about that until he's finished uninstalling McAfee. It might be an idea, but I can't see him having the problems anymore due to removal of the second AV.
  4. leofelix

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. grr

grr Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    in case file is not found it might have been quarantined by AVG...

another best way to have 2 antivirus still running, as against good practice is to always disable one while scanning with second...:D
  6. hellnoire

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, I have to disagree.

Good practice is to have one AV and one AV alone. If you need more protection, layer it with an anti-malware such as MBAM or Super Anti-Spyware.
  7. grr

grr Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I agree hellnoire, but some of us would go for 2 (few years back i also used to have 2 of them):D
  8. leofelix

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Even if AVG could be able to quarantine a hidden file detected as a rootkit which is likely to belong to Mc Afee, Mc Afee itself would stop working.

More: there are several stand alone free removal utilities like Stinger, Kaspersky Removal tool (daily updated), Norman Malware Cleaner
    , Dr Web cure it!, I can't see why one should install a second resident antivirus;)

If people want to have a second opinion, they may upload the most of file to VirusTotal or Jotti Malware Scan, before installing them
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  9. dredge

dredge Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I uninstalled mcafee and ran MCPR to remove all the file left by Mcafee. However, when I scan again with AVG after restart, the rootkit scan still come out with the same thing. However, this time I got the file from drivers folder and manage to delete it using unlocker. From the removal step that I used on mcafee, I don't think the file belongs to mcafee as it's still running even after I do full removal using MCPR tool. But nevertheless, uninstall mcafee revealed the hidden file. Thanks, leofelix, your guide is very,very helpful. Thanks to hellnoire too for his suggestion to remove mcafee. Actually I just tested to install AVG on my sister computer but with all the resident shield disabled. I am now uninstalling AVG to install back the mcafee.Thanks to all.If anyone has idea on what is the file or where the file originated, do inform us here, please.
  10. hellnoire

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm still thinking it was McAfee conflicting with AVG, but that's me... stubborn @r$3 :lol:
  11. leofelix

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @ dredge: please download HitMan Pro 3.5 (32 bit edition if you use a 32 bit OS, 64 bit edition if you use a 64 bit Windows):
    It is a powerful Cloud based antimalware (a fully working 30 days trial) which includes several antivirus and antimalware engines.
    Do Activate HitMan Pro then scan your system.
    Do not worry, it won't interfere with AVG or with Mcafee and is able to detect and remove the most of dangerous rootkits and many other types of malware.

In regards to the infection, you could have catched it by surfing a webpage with infected scripts or you could come across a rogue or even by plugging an infected USB flash drive.

Please, keep your system always up to date, make sure you have the lastest Sun Java JRE, Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash player and last but not least your main browser must always be the latest version.
    In this way you'll avoid many types of infections

for future reference, please refer to: http://forum.raymond.cc/spyware-viruses/18699-helpful-tips-for-a-safe-and-stable-system.html
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010