How Does Changing My MAC Address Effects Software?

Discussion in 'Network and Internet' started by toasty, Jan 4, 2017.

1. toasty

toasty Inactive Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can only assume this is an unusual question as I've found nothing, globally! on this topic anywhere. I recently changed my MAC address for security purposes, then strangely, 'naturalreader' (a reading program that I use ALL the time for work) no longer works. It opens, then closes again. I changed my MAC address back to the original address, and suddenly it works again. Does anyone have any idea why a MAC address effects this one program and none of the others? and... How can I get around it? Any help appreciated. Really. ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
  2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 0 / -0
    Did you use the free or paid version of Natural Reader?

Quite a lot of shareware or commercial software uses your computer's MAC address when assigning a license to a computer. It's an anti piracy measure to stop the license being run on multiple computers at once.

Even if you use the free version of Natural Reader it may still record your MAC address on install ready for when you might upgrade to a paid version. Any commercial programs, shareware or free versions that can be upgraded could be affected by a MAC change. Reinstalling might help in a lot of cases, but not all.

3. Networx

Networx Notable Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    MAC address of your modem ? If yes, that should not affect the software, normally.

4. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 0 / -0
    I would assume toasty is talking about the network adapter MAC address. A lot of software ties its license to that address.

5. jabeen100

jabeen100 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some Internet service providers may require authentication with a MAC address and only allow a device with that MAC address to connect to the Internet. You may need to change your router or computer’s MAC address to connect.