How To Remove Xp From Dual Boot And Still Boot Win 7 ?

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by giovanni64, Mar 13, 2019.

1. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have XP installed on one drive and Win 7 on another one and would like to get rid of windows XP
    without reinstalling Win 7.
    I was looking around to find a solution but could not find anything in this case.
    I hope that someone of you might be able to help me.

I tried the procedure in the following link but I'm not sure if I'm be able to delete windows xp and then boot up
    Windows 7.
    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-earlier-version-of-windows-boot-menu

2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 0 / -0
    Are you simply trying to remove XP from the Windows Boot menu (at least to start with)? If so, it's quite easy to do in Windows 7, open Msconfig from the Start menu/Run dialog, go to the Boot tab and if Windows 7 is not set as default, highlight it and set it as so. Click the XP entry and delete it. Press OK and reboot to see if it works.

Best to have a backup of Windows 7 and maybe XP in case anything goes wrong. If you want to remove XP completely it's best to leave it alone until the boot options are sorted because some boot files could be on the XP partition.

3. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ---------- Post added Mar 13, 2019 ----------
    @Hal9000
    I'd like to wipe off XP completely and work with Windows 7 alone. I already have backups of both systems.

4. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 0 / -0
    Well, once you get the system booting to Windows 7 with the traces of Windows XP removed (mentioned above), you only have to remove the XP drive or format the XP partition.

5. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Attached are 2 screenshots of my system.
    Yesterday I formatted the xp partition in the hope to be able to start Windows 7.
    After the formatting was completed and rebooted it showd "Bootmgr is missing".
    Then I reinstalled Windows XP again from my Image File and everything is as before.
    What else can I do now?

[External Image Currently Unavailable]:https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/3/14/ffcd0f7de0c6aeb1beed2a5a2bc21031-full.png

[External Image Currently Unavailable]:https://cdn1.imggmi.com/uploads/2019/3/14/cdc2fa43f64a4dec701d01e7528850c4-full.png

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  6. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I see. The issue you probably have there is the files to boot the system are on the XP drive. There are a couple of ways that immediately come to mind how to deal with this:

1) If you have a Windows 7 install DVD handy, go through the process you did above. When you get the Bootmgr error, insert and boot from the DVD. Go past the language screen and click Repair Your Computer. Select the Windows install (not restore) and it should detect what's wrong and fix the boot error for you.

2) Download and install EasyBCD in Win 7.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ (click the Register button but you don't have to register)

Open the program and go to the BCD Backup/Repair window. Select Change Boot Drive, choose C: and press OK. Then try the boot without XP connected or installed. If you know your way around the BIOS just changing the first bootable hard drive to the Win 7 drive will work without formatting XP.

Here's a page on the EasyBCD website about it:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/basics/changing-the-boot-partition/

7. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @Hal9000
    Thanks a lot!

I will go over that on the weekend and follow your suggestions and let you know what happened next week.

8. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @Hal9000
    I performed the steps as shown "Changing the Boot Partition" and changed the BIOS to put the new drive where
    Windows 7 resides before the old one in the boot sequence. Then I formatted that partition where Windows XP was
    installed because I need that partition for storage of data. After formatting was completed I restarted the PC
    and booted without any problems into Windows 7.

Thank you very much for your extraordinary assistance.
    :happy:

9. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 0 / -0
    No problem, happy to be of help... (y)