How To Run Windows 8 Or 8.1 In Safe Mode?

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Guides' started by kaljukass, Nov 16, 2013.

1. kaljukass

kaljukass Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 5 / -5
    This is a bit different than previous versions of Windows, but it is not particularly difficult. To this end it is necessary to open the System Configuration and select the starting mode.
    (Read More: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3421988/boot-windows-8-in-safe-mode/)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Previously, this was done by pressing the F8 key during restart. Is it also possible on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1? Answer. Yes it is. You can do it if you do the following.

To enable F8 key:
    1. press “Winkey + X”, select “Command Promt (Admin)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2. Type or copy-paste bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    3. Hit “ENTER

Now it’s done, You can press during restart F8 and select mode to start Your Windows 8 or 8.1 like it was on previous Windows.

To disable it again, do the same, but now You must type

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard
    and hit “ENTER

NB! Be careful, after bcdedit is one empty space, but after / isn't no empty space.
    Personally tested, working properly.

2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    Thanks kaljukass, some useful tips there. I still can't work out why Microsoft in their wisdom decided to make getting to safe mode so difficult for Windows 8/8.1, especially if the computer won't boot to normal mode. What was wrong with the procedure before?? :rolleyes:

There is also another really easy way to get the safe mode options screen where you can choose with networking, with command prompt, boot logging etc:

From the Charms bar or the lock screen, just before you choose to restart, hold down Shift and then press restart (this won't work from the 8.1 right click start menu). You'll get to a "Choose an option" screen, click Troubleshoot -> Advanced -> Startup Settings and then click the Restart button. Now when you reboot you'll get the good old boot options screen similar to that in Vista/7.

[​IMG]
    As this is a one time deal, Windows will boot normally on next restart. This method is also very useful for a Windows 8 infected with ransomware as you will still be able to get to the lock screen and then get into safe mode. (y)

3. jock

jock Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    HAL 9000 I must be doing something wrong cant get it to work with 8.1 mind you I may not be following your directions properly or maybe it is because I am using a Wireless keyboard.
    I already did kaljukass's method a while back so maybe that is what is preventing it for working.
    ---------- Post added Nov 17, 2013 ----------
    Maybe doing it wrong but never use the charm bars and don't have a clue where the lock screen is. I have been trying it through the sidebar.Settings.Power.
    I am a bit past my sell by date so if you could explain it to me in simpler terms I would be obliged.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    The screen after you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete which has a shutdown option bottom right. Saying the lock screen was a bit inaccurate on my part because it isn't the lock screen itself but where you can lock it along with logoff, start task manager etc. Simply hold shift while pressing restart in there...

5. jock

jock Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    Nope it does not work on there either just restarts the computer. Think maybe it is because I am using a wireless keyboard.
    Not to worry I was just trying it to see if it would work in case I got into difficulties in the future.As I have already got Safe mode on my computer I will just stick with that.

6. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    Whether you're using wireless or not won't make any difference, if your shift key works in Windows, it should work here. Are you using any third party tools to disable/tweak bits of Windows 8?

7. A Guy

A Guy Distinguished Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 3 / -0
  8. jock

jock Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    HAL 9000 I have Process Lasso on it so not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks A Guy,I have safe mode on my computer now if needed and can get in in normal mode through msconfig if required. So I will leave it like that just now,I only wanted to try HAL 9000's way to see how easy it was to use.
    ---------- Post added Nov 17, 2013 ----------
    I was toying with the idea of removing Process Lasso as I was not sure it was working that great on W/8, Just had an update for it so if no better will remove it.

9. ted

ted Prominent Member

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    I personally think Process Lasso is one of the worst software's ever if anything it slows you down(n)

10. jock

jock Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    ted.
    I have to agree with you using W/8 but no complaints with it using W/7. Will see how I get on with the latest update.