How To Stay Anonymous Online?

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by kakashi, Feb 20, 2008.

1. kakashi

kakashi Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually what is ip add for?
    Is it good to hide my ip add? How to hide my ip add? If i hide my ip, will people track me?

2. woody

woody Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    An IP (Internet Protocol) address is a number (in this format 192.168.2.1) assigned to your computer by your ISP. It is needed to communicate with other computers across the internet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

I believe records of you internet activity are kept by most ISPs. As long as you are not doing anything illegal, there SHOULDN'T be any reason to hide your IP address (unless of course you are unsure and think that someone is collecting information about your internet activities.) But if you do want to hide your IP address there are programs and proxies out there that some you can use for free. Raymonds blog has some articles concerning proxies so you should check that out.

3. chrisjohnson

chrisjohnson New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can hide your IP by connecting a vpn but for this, you need a vpn first so you can purchase vpn from any of the best vpn service providers like purevpn or ivacy, or you can check vpnranks to select any vpn which will provide you dedicated IP.

4. Ombra

Ombra New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anything you can do to stop or hinder the the anti-privacy advocates is a good thing. Learn to use proxies and VPNs. If that is too complicated, 'SafeIP 2.0.0.2602' is a simplistic solution. Ditch Win10, and rollback to XP Pro, or learn to use a privacy-focused Linux distro. Info on how to protect your privacy abounds on the Internet...learn to use Google, and seek it out.

Yes, you will still be tracked even if you hide your IP address...but not to your front door. Your IP gives them your home address, which is their number one goal. They will use 'browser fingerprinting' and other means, but most of these methods have counters, and if you counter enough of them, the 'Big Data' becomes useless. Guarding your privacy is not easy. It requires you to exert effort, and learn what is needed to know.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  5. roccor777

roccor777 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    VPN with Tor is the best

6. Bitgid

Bitgid New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A person can never be truly anonymous online.

Much the same way that an artists particular style, or preferences almost always bleed through their work so do the ways people say things, write them, language used, personal stances, or methods of trolling can all very easily give away a person who has moved from one online community to another.

So, while the name your mother/father gave you may never be know, reputation can still very easily follow you around the internet.

Edit: That's my personal experience, both in regards to myself and with what I've seen happen to others.

7. unsauceable

unsauceable New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    to stay anonymous online you must access the internet in a way not attached to your RL identity. At home you pay your ISP? Then anonymity is all that much more difficult
    ---------- Post added Apr 16, 2018 ----------
    Making social connections or using an array of an accounts from a connection described above revokes your anonymity through what nsa affectionately terms SigInt

8. ding-dong

ding-dong Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    no one escapes dark web lol :p