Issues with MSI motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware and Gadgets' started by jnelsoninjax, May 25, 2009.

1. jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, last year (March 08) I purchased a barebone AMD kit that came with a MSI k9n4 SLI motherboard. I used it for a good year, but then, I started having some issues that pointed to a BIOS issue, so, using there(MSI's) live update program, I flashed the BIOS, it indicated successful, but upon reboot nothing happened (no POST) So I contacted MSI support and they sent me a replacement BIOS chip.
    Now the replacement chip was a different color then the on-board one, and once that one was placed in the board, I forgot about for a few months (I had a new board by this time), and when I went back to it, the same exact thing occurred (no POST), I re-contacted MSI support and they RMA'd the board (this cost almost $20 to UPS) back to them, and they supposedly sent me a fixed board, they never did exactly say what they would do, but I assumed that they would replace the whole board. However the 'replacement board' turned out to be the exact same board that I had sent to them, and they had reportedly 'fixed' the BIOS chip. Again it has sat in its box for 2 months (I did not have a CPU to test it with), and today, I was in need of it, so I spent the time to wire everything up, and mount it to the case, only to find out that it still will not POST!! Now needless to say I am rather po'd at MSI now!
    My question is: Should I continue to spend the time/effort to contact MSI support and make them replace the whole board with a brand new sealed retail box board, or should I demand something else from them?

2. nivek_hcerg

nivek_hcerg Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    D'uh. I hate MSI's products even more now.

3. Raymond

Raymond Administrator

Ratings:
    +107 / 1 / -1
    If the board is over the warranty period after a year, I'd definitely replace the board.

One of my friend who is very experienced in electronics told me usually when a faulty mainboard gets fixed, it'd eventually gets faulty again after a few months or a year if you're lucky. The reason is there are so many delicate components and the process of taking out the board from the casing, shipping, and maybe some inexperienced guy who handled your board wasn't very careful.

They'd make it work because you're paying for it but they won't check if other components were affected during these process.

4. ha14

ha14 Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Hi

Try by removing your system battery for 5 seconds or resetting your CMOS by the jumper in motherboard. Possible Bios need to be resetted again. Well you had to ask MSI if they really tested your motherboard when they were fixing it on a pc or they just installed a new componenet!

5. jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I contacted MSI support,and they agreed to RMA the board, and to make sure that the board is replaced, I also indicated to them that I had the board marked in such a way as to tell if I get a new back, and that seemed to encourage them to offer a replacement board!

6. Rush

Rush Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like MSI. I went on a K9a2 platinum kick about a year ago and put the board in 8 or 9 systems, including my own. Great for Phenom's.
    I, however, NEVER use their live update. A reviewer a newegg had mentioned it, so I stayed away from it. Glad I did.
    Had to install floppies in all the systems to update the BIOS manually but I'm glad I did. Was worth the 9 bucks and 20 minutes.
    I agree with Ray, that once bad, it's only a matter of time and usually, it's the same problem.
    Disappointing though, for sure, that they sent you the same trash back. I've never actually had to RMA a MSI product, knock on wood. RMA'd 6 Asus and 2 gigabyte boards already this year, but no MSI. Those were DOA though.
    Did you have to go directly through them or was it through a retailer?

7. jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I went through MSI directly for the RMA. Though this time they promised me a new board, not simply 'fix' the old one, I also told them that I had marked the board in such a way as to tell if they send me back the original, we shall see what happens.