Limit Bandwidth Speed Produced By Wifi

Discussion in 'Network and Internet' started by jeric, Jan 21, 2017.

1. jeric

jeric Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I'm trying to find a way to setup and limit the speed produced by our wifi-router. Because I always turn it off when i'm playing games since other devices seems to eat off the bandwidth on my laptop.

Is there such a way to limit the speed given by the wifi, but not the ones connected via ethernet cable/rj45?

I've already searched the internets and I found out QoS, but my wifi-router doesn't seem to support it(I think), since it was the free modem from my ISP.

2. Networx

Networx Notable Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    You will have to invest on a new modem. That would be the only way if your modem does not support QoS. Some modem providers even modify the software which helps you set up bandwidth control on a particular device or as a whole. That is just customised QoS input box.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  3. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 0 / -0
    An obvious way that doesn't involve changing routers would be to turn down the WiFi network speed to 802.11b mode instead of g or n etc.

That way the WiFi network will only run at a max speed of 11Mbps without affecting the wired connections. Besides that, there probably isn't a lot else you can do with your current router.

4. jeric

jeric Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've tried 802.11b, but unfortunately, I only have a 1.5Mbps average so it probably wouldn't work. I found a QoS setting but it seems to be too advanced for my basic networking skill :|

[​IMG]

5. Networx

Networx Notable Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Get a new router. It would be like $20 or something with a decent bandwidth control interface.