Looking For A New Ad Removal Program

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by jock, Oct 23, 2017.

1. jock

jock Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    I sometimes use another website which is over the top with Ads and the latest is 'Sponsored Content' which I find the hardest to remove.

Using Firefox and Crome and have tried most of the usual add removers with no luck.

Anyone know of an ad blocker that gets rid of everything preferably free.

Obviously this may not be the type of question that is allowed on here so if so please delete it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2017
  2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    Nothing wrong with the question, nobody particularly "likes" ads. ;)

I think I know the type of ad you are talking about although their name escapes at this moment. They do seem to be unaffected by ad blockers occasionally. Sometimes I just add the block of content manually through the ad blocker, I've even used CSS editors like Stylebot to remove crap from web pages.

Can you name this website, It might help to see the exact ads we're talking about? :D

3. jock

jock Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    Pc. Advisor uk. It is the sponsored content that I cannot stop.

What you said about blocking manually is there a way of adding it to AdblockPlus manually as they keep changing the adds. and AdblockPlus stops blocking them.

4. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that site is truly shocking, it takes a minute to fully load and a page is over 50MB in size. An ad blocker cuts the time to load and page size by 80%+.

I tried Ghostery and most stuff ad wise is gone, try it and see what's left that you don't like.

5. jock

jock Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for looking Hal9000 it has to be one of the worst web pages about..
    I have tried Ghostery and a few others a few times without any success. it is basically the Sponsored Content that is causing the problem and have been unable to remove the adds etc from it..

I can control it a little bit better using Chrome but Firefox has always been my main browser..

I will plod on with it and hope that i can find an add blocker that removes those irritating adds.
    ---------- Post added Oct 24, 2017 ----------
    Well thought that I had cracked it. Noticed the Halloween giveaways on this forum and Adguard was on it. So downloaded that and ran it, It got rid of all Sponsored Content but unfortunately every time you close Firefox the adds come back when you reopen it.
    So back to square 1.

6. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    The only stuff I really see while using Ghostery is the "Elsewhere on IDG" at the bottom and "Best price today", is that your issue or can you point to exactly where on the page your issue is.

7. jock

jock Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
    Now this is a sample but it usually comes with a photo and different adverts all the time'

[​IMG]

8. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    For some reason I can't see any "sponsored content" on any pages with ad blocking turned off. Can you supply a few example urls to some of the pages you are seeing it on?

9. jock

jock Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0
  10. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    Ah yes, I see it now. You need to add a custom rule to your ad blocker, tested in uBlock Origin and Adblock Plus successfully.

Add this to your custom filters in the ad blocker:

techadvisor.co.uk##.ntvMOAP

[​IMG]

The reason it is probably getting through is the ad is coming from the techadvisor url and not a third party server.