Looking For A Program That Will Block A New Version Of Windows

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by ffwfire, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ffwfire

ffwfire Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    from downloading and installing. The new Windows latest Windows 10 gives my computer problems. It never installs right and reverts back to the old version. It does it a couple times a day which is a pain and this process happens again and again. It's been doing it for months and it is time consuming. Does anyone know of a program that is free that I can block it or block all updates. I tried one already and it didn't work. Microsoft has https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/659d2e50-978e-4ab5-9f27-23342be283c2 this program that blocks specific updates. Will it block the new version of Windows 10 from downloading and installing? Thank you.

Michelle

2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    Even when you turn Windows updates off, they have a tendency to get re-enabled again. You can try a tool called Windows update Blocker, this will disable the Windows update service and make sure it stays disabled.

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-0/

The problem you have is whenever you enable the service again, it will try to install the update. There is an option in the updates > Advanced window in Settings to defer feature updates for up to 365 days, not sure if that will help.

3. katzenfrau

katzenfrau New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you have Windows 10 Home or an organization version (then ask administrator to disable version updates) that you can not block Windows upgrade? For other versions, there is no problem, go to the "Settings" panel => Windows Update and select Advanced options and disable updates. Works great, without any problems, personally tested and currently one computer isn't upgraded.
    But I recommend to upgrade (You must to do clean install and do not use Windows update system !Important), version 16299.xxx (current 16299.251) works also well and I have installed in very different computer, all works correctly. So I do not see any reason, why not upgrade.

4. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    There are various reasons not to upgrade.

For instance, I have a laptop that cannot upgrade to the Creators Fall update because it breaks the only drivers that work with previous versions of Windows 10. So it is stuck on the Creators 1 update, I'll probably end up putting Windows 8.1 or Linux on it.

I would agree there's no point in holding off if your system can handle it just fine or the problems can be rectified easily, but many systems can't. These constant major updates are introducing new compatibility problems, new driver problems or new bugs every six months. Clean installing is not that easy for many users, especially if there's a lot of software installed.

5. jason7619

jason7619 Active Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip there! Will also try that!