New Os On Android Smartphone

Discussion in 'Phones and Tablets' started by ARUNESH DUTTA, Jan 24, 2015.

1. ARUNESH DUTTA

ARUNESH DUTTA Active Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -2
    Dear all;

I am new to this.Please let me know what is cyanogen and how good is it as os in mobile as I was browsing and came to know of same.any better options apart from it.I have a spare smartphone that i could try having 512 MB RAM.I want to know if its good how should I proceed with the same

Thanks

2. position

position Distinguished Member

Ratings:
    +526 / 0 / -0
    CyanogenMod is an open source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform.... its free and open source.... offers features and options not found in the official firmware distributed by mobile device vendors...

It can be highly customized..... free of bloatware, and also will perform better in the phone compared to official firmware.....

Benefits : Up-to-Date, Stock Android, Pre Rooted, Highly Tweak-able, in built Privacy guard to name a few, more closer experience to stock android than that of the phone firmware.....

For more info visit here : http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

use can also try XDA forums for your specific phone model......

This should also help : http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/698725-how-to-install-cyanogenmod-on-an-android-phone

also make sure you install a stable build version on your phone and not one of those nightly builds.... they are mostly full of bugs....

DO NOTE ITS DEVISE SPECIFIC

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 0 / -0
    CyanogenMod can be good but it can also be extremely buggy, I tried it several times and there's was always something that didn't work properly.

If your phone's current o/s is quite recent it might be an idea to root it first, then you can disable all the apps and junk that may have come with your phone to help the RAM situation and speed it up a bit..

Not sure if your phone is still under warranty but it can be problematic getting companies to honour the warranty if it's been rooted/modded, even though it theoretically makes very little difference.

4. ARUNESH DUTTA

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -2
    Thanks all I wanted to use as there are no os updates on my set and warranty is also over,it's a 1.5 yr old phone and wanted to try out if it was stable

5. Networx

Networx Notable Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    @ARUNESHDUTTA

Please note that flashing, if wrongly done could damage your phone beyond repair.

6. ARUNESH DUTTA

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -2
    Thanks to all I'll take care while flashing as I had experience for other embedded systems.Please let me know which type to be chosen and what it means in cyanogen like stable,snapshot,nightly etc for a particular mobile

7. position

position Distinguished Member

Ratings:
    +526 / 0 / -0
    @ARUNESH DUTTA the thing is that this (Cynogen) is a free and open source project and as such it depends majorly on its community to test and report bugs and make the product better.....

think of Stable release as a release that has the least amount of bugs..... the final release..... and the rest are like beta and alpha version, maybe full of bugs but are more latest in their nature.....

so as a rule of thumb if you want a (Almost) bug free experience then go for the Stable release.....

8. Networx

Networx Notable Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    @ARUNESH DUTTA , always try to find the developer thread before trying custom ROMs. ie, somewhere like XDA developers than simply downloading the ROM from a blog. The developer's thread will give you the real condition of the ROM, known bugs and issues.

Always try to use stable version than nightly because of bugs which could end up in denying you some features you need badly like WiFi connectivity.