Power Supply Or PC

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by NOKNOT, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ha14

ha14 Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    can you boot on live cd like linux, hirens boot cd.....?

2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, wouldn't have been the battery, something would have happened and the worst you would have got was booting with an error screen or a beep. Many computers will actually work just fine with a dead battery or even without one altogether.

If you tried how I mentioned then it's pretty much dead mobo (the Dell forums say the same thing). Anything that plugs in can be salvaged, such as CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, DVD Drive, PSU, GFX card etc... Whether you will actually make use of them in the future is another matter though...

At the very least pull your boot drive as it should be destroyed or preferably wiped because of the personal data stored on it.

There's no display and the machine doesn't POST so trying to boot from CD I doubt will be much help.

3. ha14

ha14 Experienced Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    DELL XPS REPAIR Manuals

Check this DELL SITE

4. NOKNOT

NOKNOT Active Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help, but I think it breathed its last breath. Always had good luck with Dells, using my old Dimension E521 that I kept around. The XPS was 8 years old. Question, can I reuse the memory sticks I pulled from the XPS? Once again thanks for all the help. Been awhile since I visited this site.

5. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 0 / -0
    Depends what type of RAM is in the Dell, could be DDR3 or even DDR2 being 8 yrs old. It would fit in another older PC that accepts that type of RAM. Any new PC will be DDR4.