Slow Keyboard Lenovo T420 Laptop

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by jimmy4802, Jan 28, 2019.

1. jimmy4802

jimmy4802 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I could really use some help. I bought this laptop about 1 year ago and I don't think I had a problem the first 2 months. Now it seems the keyboard and the mouse are really slow and I've been living with it. I'm going to use it more often in a few months and need it to work correctly. I've read online about this machine having some lag issues with other users but no solved solutions. My 12 yr old desktop works better than this thing.
    It is 2012 or 2013? Lenovo T420 300 GB (72GB being used) hard drive, 8 GB ram(.25GB being used) , I upgraded from 4. Core i5, 2.5GHZ, 64 bit, running windows 10 but he sticker says it came with 7.
    I have tried all the online stuff like closing start up programs, clear history, new mouse, virus scans, malware scans, add RAM, checked to see if I have the correct power source, last week i reset BIOS defaults? etc
    Here is what happens: I click in the search box and start typing only half my word shows up. ie I want to search for storage, it shows up as orage. Excel doc on my desktop takes 30 seconds to open. It has 50 email address on 1 page. 10 page PDF highlights but doesn't open, i have to double click again. I move my curser to close a document and it take 3 or 4 seconds before the red X highlights and will let me close the document or web site. I double click and word doc and it just highlights but won't open. Basically a lot of problems with clicking and typing.
    I do not know how to decipher the info in task manager? If anyone is familiar with this machine and can walk me through some steps to check out? I would certainly appreciate it. You may have to tell me how to do what I need to do.

2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,145 / 0 / -0
    I notice you mentioned you've tried a new mouse (did you also try another keyboard?), did it have the same effect?
    When you open Task Manager are there any columns such as CPU going really high?
    Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? To get safe Mode hold Shift while pressing restart.
    You can also use the Task Manager startup tab to disable all startup items and reboot (take note of what you disabled so you can re-enable after).
    Have you scanned the disk for errors? Right click C drive > Properties > Tools > Check.
    Have you tried a bootable disk containing another operating system? That would rule in or out your Windows 10.

The worst case would be a faulty motherboard, I have seen it before where the mouse or keyboard misbehaves while other hardware seems to work ok. Hopefully your issue is more fixable.

3. jimmy4802

jimmy4802 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I did not try another keyboard. I will pick up one tonight.
    Task Manager CPU is usually at 4-5%. Memory 35-40%. Disk 50-70%. Network 0%
    I have never run anything in safe mode? Would my programs still work?
    Startup-everything was already disabled. There were 8-10 items in there.
    I scanned disk- No problems
    Bootable disk with another operating system? Where would I get this and how would I use it?
    I will try the keyboard extensively and post results tomorrow
    Thank you

4. katzenfrau

katzenfrau New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This computer is a very fast computer. All signs indicate that it is untreated, ie not cared and full off junck and obselete reg keys, maybe damaged at all. Run cmd.exe < > sfc.exe /scannow in administrative privileges. It finds damaged system files and tries to fix them. If cannot fix something, You'll get error log.
    To get it in Your desktop run this command:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    then You will get all error, what was not repaired, if open file sfcdetails.txt
    First of all clean your computer: CCleaner, IObit Advanced System Care, Wise Care 365, Windows 10 Manager - it's the minimum
    Registry clean and correct bad keys if necessary - All previous programs + Registry First Aid (this is the only program that can fix registry keys)
    If necessary, update drivers - IObit Driver Booster is the best for this job.
    If it's still slow, only a new clean installation will help.
    I know this computer very well, standing next to a desk in the room, inside the Windows 10 Pro version 1809 (currently the last one)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  5. jimmy4802

jimmy4802 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I started with a new keyboard and things seem to be much better. No typing issues, but a little lag here and there with the mouse and cursor. I have a few hours of typing tomorrow afternoon so I'll know more. Maybe shows the keyboard on my laptop is a problem and I don't really want to carry this one around all the time. But it's shows us something.
    I did the scannow as directed. That took 1 hour and this is what it said:

Verification 100% complete
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I did CCleaner, Advanced system care and Driver booster.
    I did not do the Registry First Aid. I'm hesitant on this one. Is it really necessary and could you direct me to the exact location and procedures?
    Thank you

6. katzenfrau

katzenfrau New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I can. But there is no sense do it before if you have removed the issues that sfc.exe /scannow could not fix.
    You can do this with Dism, but usually it won't work. But of course You can try.
    As I said before, just a new clean installation of Windows, what helps. And also in this I am quite convinced that the keyboard itself doesn't cause this problem. If only the keyboard driver, but it's simple to reinstall. But I very much doubt there is a problem.
    Dism commands are here
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool - DISM
    1. Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
    2. Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    3. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentRestoreHealth
    4. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /SPSuperseded (Remove backups after Servicepack is installed)
    You must run 1., 2., 3. commands, the 4. not needed.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  7. jimmy4802

jimmy4802 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    how do I run these commands?
    I did update the keyboard driver and it said it was fine. No update needed.
    Clean install of Windows? This laptop came with Win 7 but when I bought it, the seller had installed Win 10 on it. I don't have a disk or anything?

8. katzenfrau

katzenfrau New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Win Key R (open Run command) => cmd.exe => Dism Command from previous post PS don't forgot to run cmd.exe as administrator (ie run as administrator or if already opened then right click to taskbar icon and there You see Run as admistrator). Sometimes it is called also "Run elevated cmd.exe), it's the same.
    Then run first command, it takes some minutes, if done, You'll see if is needed to run the second Dism command or not (usually is needed, if have not run it for a long time).
    The third command is for repairing Windows and there is some different methods. The simplest way is simply to run it and it will fix damaged files if in You computer is available default files (ie if there exist install.wim or install.esd).
    If not, You must use installation media ie Windows DVD or USB, where is all installation files.
    Here is the command how to run the third command using install.wim or install.esd.
    Code:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\winrepair\sources\install.wim
    where C is disk, where is Your Windows installation source files (folder for example winrepair), there is folder sources and in it is file install.wim or install.esd
    [​IMG]
    You can find more info
    Code:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=DISM+%2FOnline+%2FCleanup-Image+%2FRestoreHealth&oq=DISM+%2FOnline+%2FCleanup-Image+%2FRestoreHealth&aqs=chrome..69i57.1134893j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image
    etc......

9. jimmy4802

jimmy4802 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was able to run the DISM commands 1,2,3.
    I also ran sfc.exe for a third time and the messages I received were positive. Something along the lines of files have been fixed, health is all good etc. I have put away the extra keyboard and am just using the keyboard on the laptop. All seems to be fixed!
    Thank you very much for your assistance!