Ssl Mitm Proxy Needed!

Discussion in 'Security and Viruses' started by Ombra, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Ombra

Ombra New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need to install an ssl mitm proxy on either my XP Pro, or at the very least two browsers (Chromodo & Firefox). I am currently considering Fiddler, BurpSuite, mitmproxy 2.0.2, James 1.5.0, Charles 4.2.1, or Paros proxy 3.2.1, and wish to ask advice as to which one would be easier for a newbie to manage? Do all have GUI? Thanks for any help.

Addenda: Further research has shown that Paros proxy is no longer available, so can be removed from this list. Fiddler requires .NET, which I intend to eliminate in the future, so it too can be removed from consideration. Lastly, Charles has a hefty price-tag, so it goes to the bottom of the list, and considered only as a last resort.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. INDRANIL

INDRANIL Distinguished Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 1 / -0
    Mitmproxy ( ports 80 and 443 need to be forwarded to the mitmproxy listening port). Btw don't use it for unethical purpose.

3. Ombra

Ombra New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well , your ethics and morals may not coincide with mine. I am using XP Pro, and daily being hammered with at least five different security errors on a constant basis. I have recently started keeping score, and for every 500 sites I try to reach, at least 30% have bad certificates that SRWare Iron and Chromodo flat out refuse to go to. I had to install Firefox 30 with 'Skip Cert Error' to find some small relief, but I am now at the boiling point, and will no longer tolerate the CA nazis. What some call security I now call censorship, so I intend to eliminate any control of the CA over my browsers or OS. Since it seems I cannot rip out their crud without rendering the browsers or XP useless, I will be circumventing by installing a fake uber-certificate that overrules all of their certificates. If you want to call that unethical then so be it.

4. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 0 / -0
    All OS's slowly start to break once they are out of support, XP has been out of support for nearly 4 years. There comes a point when you have to let it go.

5. Ombra

Ombra New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That time may come in the distant future, but the death of XP Pro shall not be delivered by the hands of the CA nazis (or any other such technomafioso, tollbooth troll, etc.) that know what's best for me, intend to shove their solution down my throat, and I'll thank them for it later. When I deal bullies its not on bended knee, and appeasement is not my modus operandi. I will deal with my own security issues, but I will not deal with the CAs censoring 30% of the internet, so since push has come to shove, it circumvention time.

6. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 0 / -0
    You are of course, free to do what you like and for how long you like. There will come a point when much of the stuff you run on your computer doesn't work properly or at all. If you want to struggle on to make a point at the risk of leaving yourself open to all sorts of issues, that is your choice. But do not forget, you are running an OS that was supported longer than any other in history. XP had a very good run.

7. Ombra

Ombra New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wish everyone was as open minded as you, but my experience on other forums has been the opposite...too many CA fanboys ever ready to defend their sacred cow. As for XP Pro, I heard the same criticisms leveled against Win98 and Win2000, all of which came direct from Microsoft originally, then chorus-lined by their horde of cheerleaders later. Few if any of the dire predictions ever happened, and as current users will tell you, nearly all of their problems stem from finding hardware that will run Win98 & Win2000. I suspect XP Pro will be no different, and considering the number of end users reach into the million(s), you should not put too much hope into it disappearing anytime soon. My struggle is not to make any point, other than any effort by Microsoft, CA nazis, etc., to sabotage my OS will not be tolerated. This problem is not caused by XP Pro, but by the (so-called) Certificate Authorities, and by Microsoft allowing them to infest the OS with their rot, then fixing it so that not even XPLite Pro can rip it out. The solution to my problem lies not in moving to another OS, but in telling the CA nazis that their services will no longer be required, or as The Trumpster would say "Yer Fired!". I'll be handling my own security issues, so these technomafioso can run their protection racket somewhere else, and blockade 30% of the internet from someone else.

8. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 0 / -0
    I would fully agree about Microsoft, I've never liked the way they push new OS's, they always say the old OS's are slow and insecure when in reality they aren't. They even laughably did it with 7 and 8.1 to push 10. XP still works and I've not heard a single person I know that ran it after support ended to have a problem security wise. All the problems were software and hardware compatibility.

At the end of the day though, you can't expect Certificate Authorities, browser developers (Firefox support ends this year), software developers, hardware vendors or anyone else to keep trying to make their stuff compatible with an OS that is over 16 years old and years out of support. Time moves on for everything in this world, XP included.

Your problem will be that by the time you have to change, the only alternative will be Windows 10 as 7 will likely also be way out of support by then, and you don't want a repeat of your current issues. There's always Linux I suppose... ;)

9. Ombra

Ombra New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And by the same token the CA nazis and their browser groupies cannot expect me to continue using their shoddy products, as is. What little added security this rot brings to the table is far outweighed by the constant blockade of around 30% of the sites I want to go to....but its all for my own good, they know what's best for me, and blah, blah, blah! I think not.
    Anyway, I've not been able to find much help or advice on any of the forums regarding mitmproxy, BurpSuite, James, or Charles, so looks like I will have to do it the hard way, have my tech guy install and setup one, I test drive it, and if it turns out to be unsuitable, move on to the next.
    Firefox lost me a long time ago, back when they decided to be rentboy for Daddy BigBucks (er, I mean Google). Australis was further incentive to ditch them, and their more recent move to end compatibility with all the best add-ons just sealed their fate. I'll use Firefox 30 with the 'Skip Cert Error' til its no longer usable, then Firefox developers can go bob for apples in their nearest friendly neighborhood cesspool.
    Windows Vista et al (much like recent versions of Firefox) is nothing I will ever deploy in the future. It seems we do think alike, as I am using Puppy Linux as LivCD to teach myself Linux, and also messing around with KolibriOS and Icaros Desktop...not that I believe the Ckicken Littles never ending predictions on the impending doom of XP Pro...but I am a big fan of contingency planning, and always having a 'Plan B'. By the way, if you want to have some fun, mess around with Icaros Desktop. Where Puppy Linux is a chore, and KolibriOS is kinda interesting, Icaros is really fun to explore. If it don't stop amusing me I may have to install it on my secondary HDD.

10. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 0 / -0
    How long have you been running XP?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you should have been planning your next OS move back in 2014 when XP support was ending. Everybody knows once OS support ends you're fighting a losing battle you can't possibly win, and it only gets worse over time.

I was a fan of XP and for a while couldn't imagine using anything else, but there came a point to move on. Same for your phone, your car, your TV and so many other things.