Windows 7 Not Possible Installing On Lenovo IdeaPad 120s

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by giovanni64, Aug 13, 2018.

1. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 120s with Windows 10 preinstalled.
    I can install Windows 8.1 but when I tried to install Windows 7 Ultimate I received the following:

Swcure Boot
    Image failed to verify with *Security Violation*

How can that be solved?

2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 0 / -0
    A Secure Boot issue, go into the BIOS and see if you can turn Secure Boot off, should be in Security.

Before trying to install Windows 7, have you checked all the drivers will be available? A lot of OEMs don't have Win 7 drivers for Win 10 machines these days.

3. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I turned off Secure Boot but that didn't help.

What drivers would I need and where can I get them, please?

I have an Intel Celeron N3350 processor, 4GB of RAM and a 64GB eMMC storage drive.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  4. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 0 / -0
    Which Windows 7 disk are you trying to boot with?

You would need Windows 7 drivers for most of the hardware in your device. The point is Lenovo doesn't release drivers on that device for Windows 7, so you would have to try your luck with unofficial drivers. They may work or cause huge problems.

Is there a reason you are trying to put Win 7 on it? That device is likely to run better with Win 10 as it's a bit better optimized for these low-end devices. If there are bits about 10 you don't like just disable or tweak them.

5. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  6. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 0 / -0
    Notice the only drivers listed are for Windows 10 64-bit? You might find Windows 7 will install a few of the correct drivers, others might be found elsewhere on the internet, and some others you've found might not work properly or at all.

Driver installer software might work up to a point but sometimes even they can install the wrong drivers. Generic drivers don't always work because they are not created specifically for that device. Any driver that isn't officially endorsed by the manufacturer runs a risk of not working correctly.

The only way you will know for sure is installing Windows 7 and trying drivers through trial and error. Others on the internet might have tried and successfully installed Win 7 drivers on your model of laptop, so that would be the first thing to look at.

In just over a year Windows 7 support is going to end, now is a great time for you to get used to Windows 10 as we'll all probably end up having to use it from 2020 onwards anyway...:meh:

7. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, you are right and I will go for Windows 8.1 which should not end that soon and not have to waste my time with Windows 7 anymore.
    Thanks for your assistance.

8. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget you could still end up with similar driver issues like Windows 7 because no drivers are Win 8.1 certified for your device either. Still going to be a try and see scenario.

To many people, Win 8.1 is worse than Win 10 so I hope you know what you are doing...;)

9. giovanni64

giovanni64 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm really surprised and thought Windows 8.1 is a good choice.
    However, after installing win8.1 I didn't see the wireless icon in the task bar because the driver was missing.

What is the worse thing with Windows 8.1?

Is there a way to add that driver into an AIO 8.1 ISO file and how to do that?

10. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,139 / 0 / -0
    Most Win 8/8.1 users didn't like the Start screen and the way all apps were full screen as well as the Charms bar, Hot Corners, the terrible "Settings" options, awful touch browser, etc, etc...

They say Win 10 is what 8.1 should have been, but if you can live with the quirks of 8.1, no problem. Personally, I don't mind Win 8.1 and still have it installed.

You will need to go into Device Manager and check what is installed and what isn't, and find working drivers. The official Win 10 drivers might work but it wouldn't be a surprise if they said they were not compatible with 8.1.