Windows Firewall Control Replacement

Discussion in 'Security and Viruses' started by whitedragon551, Jul 26, 2018.

1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Active Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Ive loved WFC and its been a great piece of software over the years. However, Im looking for a replacement.

Im currently running the latest Windows 10 x64 build and looking at Glasswire, TinyWall, WinPatrol Firewall, or ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.

Tinywall is appealing because it seems to be the most similar to WFC, however rumors are that its a dead app now.

Glasswire has a great interface, but I dont like the cost. $39 for what is basic functionality seems a bit much.

ZoneAlarm Im up in the air on. Havent used their products in years.

Winpatrol Firewall. Ive always been a fan of WinPatrol Plus, but dont see much talk about it here. For $5 USD a license it may be worth just checking out.

Im looking for feedback on the 3 choices Im looking at, what do you like or dislike about them? Which one do you use and why? Any others I should consider?

2. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 0 / -0
    Why are you changing from WFC, is there a specific reason or feature that is missing that you are looking for in another firewall?

Have you tried other firewalls like Comodo or Private Firewall?

If Tinywall is dead there's no point moving to it now.

I've never liked Glasswire while testing it for articles etc, and if it's $39 I'd leave it alone. The program comes across to me more as style over substance.

Haven't properly used Zonealarm in years but it is a simple program to use without major fuss. I'd think twice if it had ads or nags though, but other than that, it's easy and effective.

Never really tried WinPatrol Firewall but at 5 bucks you don't lose much if you don't like it, there is a full 15-day trial to test first. However, I do not like their license terms at all: "If you reformat the computer, the license will no longer work. If you purchase a new computer, the license is no longer valid. If you lose your license, we have no way of looking it up."

3. whitedragon551

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    WFC has been great, loved it, but its been purchased by MalwareBytes. Im not a fan of the direction the MB went and dont support the move.

4. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 0 / -0
    If you love it, why don't you stay with it until such time they start making changes you don't like? Just because they purchased it, doesn't mean to say Malwarebytes is going to turn the thing inside out in the near future.

If you look around and find something even better, great, but don't disadvantage yourself by moving to something you might consider not as good when you don't have to.

5. whitedragon551

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Im not really interested in sticking with anything that MBAM touches. Ive worked with them with enterprise applications and they are a shady company. Case and point, with the new WFC they added telemetry without telling anyone that collects data on the user. It was found in the new EULA that cant only be seen when you update to the latest WFC version. As such I wont be upgrading and am still looking for an alternative solution.

6. Hal9000

Hal9000 Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 0 / -0
    Seems to be catching, Piriform/Avast have caused a storm with their telemetry in the latest CCleaner.

Personally, of the 4 you mention I would try Zonealarm first. Have you also looked at the others I mentioned above?

There's also another small open source program called Simplewall:

https://www.henrypp.org/product/simplewall

7. whitedragon551

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0